Friday, September 19, 2014

One scoop at a time - Eva & Fiona

Blogger's note: This post is part of our series, "Making the World Better One Scoop at a Time" where we highlight all the awesome things our people are doing to make our community, and the world, a better place.

Today we're featuring Eva (L) and Fiona (R). Eva loves practicing yoga, and hopes to share her passion with others by opening her own studio in Seattle. Fiona studying to be a midwife and plans to be an advocate for women's reproductive health. 

Q&A with Eva - Scooper in Capitol Hill

mm's: So where are you at with your training?
Eva: I just finished my 200hr training in July!

mm's: Nice! What made you want to pursue this?

Eva: I found yoga a few years ago as a way to feel more grounded during an unstable time and fell in love with both the physical and spiritual practice. I am so excited to share my passion of yoga with the world and continue to learn so much more.

mm's: OK, we have to ask ... what’s your favorite pose?
Eva: My favorite pose is dancer, it's so lovely and takes a lot of focus and grounding to not fall out.

mm's: What are your hopes and dreams for your future?

Eva: My hopes are to one day open my own yoga studio, hopefully in Seattle, that encompasses everything I love so much about the practice - breathing, moving, and feeling like you!

Q&A with Fiona - shop manager in Queen Anne


mm's: What made you want to become a midwife?
Fiona: When I was in college I took a thesis course in human reproduction as part of my cultural anthropology major. Learning about how birth is treated around the world opened my eyes to how broken our system is in America, and how amazing birth can be. Ever since then I’ve been interested in childbirth professions.

mm's: So how do you become a midwife?
Fiona: This spring I completed doula training (a doula is an advocate for mother and child who helps them through the birth process, but is not medically trained) at the Simkin Center and will be applying to Bastyr’s MA in midwifery program next year. Currently I’m taking my prerequisite courses at Seattle Central and hope to work as a doula in the near future.

mm's: What are your hopes and dreams for your future?

Fiona: My goal is to work as a midwife for underserved populations and to be an advocate for women’s reproductive health. It’s exciting to be a part of this social shift towards birth being regarded as a natural process and not always as a medical emergency.

mm's: Thanks Eva & Fiona! This has been so inspiring ... we can't wait to see what kind of good you do in the world!

No comments: