Tuesday, July 29, 2014

One scoop at a time - Cody & Andie

Blogger's note: This post is part of our summer series, "Making the World Better One Scoop at a Time" where we highlight all the awesome things our people are doing to make our community, and the world, a better place.

Today we're featuring Cody (L) and Andie (R). These two are both very passionate about their educational and career goals, and making the world better through their chosen crafts!

Q & A with Cody - scooper in U Village

 
mm’s: So Cody, you're studying to be a watchmaker? That's so cool! How does someone become a watchmaker?
Cody: Once someone decides to be a professional, and certificate-holding watchmaker, they must enroll in one of two sponsored programs. Either a SAWTA (Swiss American Watchmakers Training Alliance), or WOSTEP (Watchmakers of Switzerland Training and Educational Program). Both are a two-year process that are recognized as having the equivalent of 5 years of experience in the watchmaking field.

mm’s: Where are you at in the process?
Cody: I am currently wrapping up my first year at North Seattle College. Once you pass all of your SAWTA exams you have the opportunity to take the CW21 which means you are recognized in the United States as a full-fledged, super nerdy, badass watchmaker.

mm’s: What made you want to do this?
Cody: I have always loved timepieces (pocket watches, grandfather and long case clocks), and also knew I wanted to work with my hands. I told my wife I didn't know what I wanted to go to college for, and she suggested watchmaking. "I'm pretty sure those don't even exist anymore, hunny..." Sure enough, she did some research and voilĂ , a watchmaking school in our own backyard. And now here I am.

mm’s: What are your hopes/dreams for the future?
Cody: I would love to have my own restoration/conservation business and shop to where I can work with antiquities and automata. Or work for Bonhams in NYC. Bonhams would probably end up being more lucrative. I hear starting a business is hard ... Anyway, I hope I didn't bore you to death with my super nerdy profession.

mm's: Not at all! Thanks Cody

Q & A with Andie - Scooper in Capitol Hill 

mm’s: So you just finished school, congrats! What did you study?
Andie: I went to Cornish for Visual Communications, which is basically graphic design. I chose to go after this career because I grew up drawing and painting in my free time and knew I wanted to choose do something I love for the rest of my life. Design seemed like a logical and interesting way to make art a career. What fascinates me the most is that there are so many directions you can take and use within graphic design. I am personally mainly interested in book publication, illustration, branding and packaging.

mm’s: Your thesis was on introducing philosophy to kids through creative play. That’s so cool! Can you tell us more about that?
Andie: For my senior BFA project I created a brand for children 6+ called Wonder, Activities for Curious Minds. It was intended to bring basic concepts of philosophy into children's daily lives through self-reflective creativity. The main product of this brand is an activity kit that includes a book that runs you through three crafting projects. The book has three sections that have reflective questions aiming to inspire authenticity and personal growth during important physical and intellectual developmental stages in life. The crafts encourage hands-on learning while provoking abstract thought to better connect with the individual self. The three sections that are constructed to explore the inner self are first, inquire - questioning who you are, what are the facts and choices that make you who you are. Second is discover - how do you choose, how do your choices reflect and determine who you are. Third is aspire - who do you want to be, and what makes you the best you. The kit contains all essential supplies to craft and the projects are very loose to let the individual’s imagination take lead.

mm’s: What are your hopes and dreams for the future?

Andie: I am very open to where my future takes me, but have one main goal in mind and that is to be happy doing whatever I am doing. I find that I enjoy my work the best when it serves a good purpose, carries meaning, and when there is opportunity for me to use my hands in any part of the process. I am excited to have recently graduated and ready to use my skills out in the world.

mm's: Thanks Cody and Andie! We're so excited about what you're doing with your future! 

No comments: