Friday, August 15, 2014

One scoop at a time - Andrew & Ceiara

Blogger's note: This post is part of our summer series, "Making the World Better One Scoop at a Time" where we highlight all the awesome things our people are doing to make our community, and the world, a better place.

Today we're featuring Andrew (L) and Ceiara (R). Andrew is making the world better as a writer and actor for a boundary-pushing new theater company, and Ceiara is making the world better one person at a time - as a hard-working and devoted mom to her four-year-old-daughter!

Q & A with Andrew - Scooper in Capitol Hill 

mm's: Word on the street is you're pretty involved with a local theater group. Tell us more?
Andrew: I work with a theater company called The Horse in Motion. It was founded last autumn by peers of mine from the University of Washington. I was brought on in November as a company member and actor. I also serve as the co-outreach director for the company. We did our first show this past April and have tentative plans for next year in the works. The company seeks to make theater more engaging by performing more experimental and abstract pieces that challenge the audience. Many of us are recent college graduates who studied various areas of performance and production. Our goal with The Horse in Motion was to do theater in Seattle like it had never been done before.

mm's: What are some recent productions you've done?
Andrew: Our first show was "Attempts on Her Life," written by Martin Crimp. The play’s theatrical style is called “In-Yer-Face-Theatre” and essentially means that the work is meant to be highly engaging for the audience through means both shocking and confrontational. The play was about a woman named Anne who never appeared on stage. Our only impression of Anne was various scenes in which people simply spoke about her or spoke for her. The audience was left with a vague impression of Anne as descriptions of her ranged greatly from scene to scene. In one scene she was a mother, in another a terrorist, in another a girl of the third world. The play was performed at University Heights across numerous rooms. The audience was guided on foot from room to room throughout the show with shocking new scenes around every corner. The play was a big challenge and the rehearsal process was over a year in the making.

mm's: What are your hopes and dreams for your future?

Andrew: The Horse in Motion is still figuring out what we would like to do in the coming year. Our goal at this point is to do another big project next year with the possibility of other smaller endeavors between productions. For me personally, I’ve been trying to become more disciplined about writing. The self-motivation aspect of writing has always been a big challenge. Keep an eye out for The Horse in Motion’s next production due out sometime next spring.

Q & A with Ceiara - Scooper in Madrona

mm's: Would you mind telling us a little about your daughter? Does she like that her mom works for an ice cream shop?

Ceiara: My daughter's name is Ceanna, and she’s four. She loves that I work for Molly Moon's. Every time it's my day off I'll try to bring her to the shop, and she says ‘Hi Sky [to our Madrona shop manager], I'd like chocolate with sprinkles, please.’ It’s pretty cute.

mm's
: What is the most challenging & the most rewarding thing about being a mom?

Ceiara
: The most challenging thing is that I'm still young, so I can't do a lot of the things that I want to do. And I do a lot of things by myself. Being a single mome sucks, to be perfectly honest! But it helps you become a better mom, and a better woman. The best thing is that I have someone who always loves me and doesn't judge me. And I love seeing her grow every day. I’ve always enjoyed being a mom, but I enjoy it more every day because I see her grow and grow.

mm's: What are your hopes and dreams for the future?
Ceiara: I’m planning to go to school in the fall to become a dental assistant. I’ve always been very interested in teeth. When I was younger I used to eat a lot of candy, and I lost two teeth. Now I want to deal with other people's teeth, not mine [laughs]. When I do better in life, my daughter can watch me, and she can be like, 'I want to do better in life too.' I just want the best for her. I’m showing her how to be strong and independent.

mm's: Thanks for taking the time to chat Andrew & Ceiara! Keep up the good work! ♥
 

No comments: